A loss of vehicle control can increase the risk of a crash.
Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. (Volkswagen) is recalling certain model year 2009-2010 Volkswagen Jetta A5 Sedan, 2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen, Eos, GTI, Rabbit and Audi A3 vehicles, and 2010 Volkswagen Golf A6 vehicles.
Any module that fails the new diagnostic test will be replaced.
These repairs will be made free of charge.
The manufacturer has not yet provide a notification schedule. Owners may contact Volkswagen customer service at 1-800-893-5298.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Overview – Introduction
The Immobilizer is a theft-deterrent device that adds a layer of security to VWGoA vehicles that include the following brands: Audi, Bentley, Lamborghini, and VW. Certain repairs such as replacing emission parts cannot be performed without resetting the immobilizer code for the vehicle. This is done by a technician using the VAS for PC software to synchronize the immobilizer code embedded in the ignition key with other codes resident on parts such as the Transmission Control Module, Engine Control Module, and Instrument Cluster.
Before you can replace an emission part
Whenever you replace an emission-related control module, the immobilizer must be reset using the VAS for PC software. This can only be done if you meet the following requirements:
- You have enrolled into the program (see step 1 - Complete Pass Thru Enrollment Forms)
- You have received an email from VWGoA that contains a Security ID and Password to access the immobilizer application hosted in Germany
- You have received an email from VWGoA that contains a certificate file (e.g. IndepeDeale.30001.300999.pfx)
- You have installed the certificate onto your PC
- You have obtained a J 2534-1 Pass Thru device (see recommended J 2534-1 Pass Thru devices)
- You have performed the steps outlined in VAS for PC Setup
Recommended J 2534-1 Pass Thru devices
Pass thru devices are available for purchase from a recommended Manufacturer for registered workshops to perform Immobilizer functions. The Pass Thru devices that have been tested to work with VAS for PC follow:
- I+ME Pass-Thru+XS
Available from ACTIA Corp.
- DrewTech CarDAQ2534
Available from Drew Technologies, Inc. http://www.drewtech.com or (734) 222-5228
- Blue Streak iflash Global Programmer
Available from Dearborn Group Technology http://www.dgtech.com or (248) 488-2080
Email at [email protected]
Note: Currently, Pass Thru re-programming supports SAE J2534-1 version 4.04 only. Please ensure that you have installed the appropriate driver for your Pass Thru device. For details read the documentation shipped with your device or contact the manufacturer.