April 13, 2022 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 22V245000
Long fuel injectors with missing filters may leak fuel, increasing the risk of a fire.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 22V245
Manufacturer Volkswagen Group of America, Inc.
Components FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
Potential Number of Units Affected 1,382
Dealers will replace the long fuel injectors, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed June 10, 2022. Owners may contact Volkswagen customer service at 1-800-893-5298. Volkswagen’s number for this recall is 24iD.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.
In certain vehicles, the long fuel injectors may have been assembled without filter element. An injector built without filter element may leak, and fuel may enter into the engine compartment. Leaking fuel, in the presence of an ignition source, may increase the risk of a fire.
If the recall condition is present in the vehicle, customers may recognize a fuel odor or notice fuel leakage. Additionally, the check engine light may illuminate. If this happens, customers are advised to contact an authorized Volkswagen dealer without delay to have the vehicle inspected/repaired.
- REPAIR NOT YET AVAILABLE
- Check daily campaign open inventory report or OMD for affected vehicles in inventory.
|Country||Beginning Model Year||Ending Model Year||Vehicle||Vehicle Count|
|USA||2021||2022||ATLAS CROSS SPORT||386|
|CAN||2021||2021||ATLAS CROSS SPORT||65|
Subject: Chronology for Volkswagen Recall 24iD – Fuel Injectors
Dear Mr. Owens:
Volkswagen hereby submits the following chronology associated with the subject recall.
Chronology of Defect
CW19/2021: During continuous field monitoring and analysis of claimed long injectors, an evaluation of the built date of long injectors showed a potential cluster in a specific time frame with parts built without filter element. Deeper analysis started.
CW19/2021 – CW25/2021: investigation with supplier about explanation of potential cluster of claimed parts. Root cause analysis initiated. The supplier informed Volkswagen that potentially one tray of long injectors may have been mishandled and that an unknown number of long injectors of this tray could have been assembled without filter element. Ongoing Field monitoring and parts analysis to verify information. At this time, the supplier was not able to quantify the potentially incorrectly assembled parts within the one tray.
CW25/2021 – CW39/2021: Evaluation of potentially affected long injectors of the suspected tray by field monitoring and analysis of field return parts. First indications of a second cluster with mishandling at the supplier. Field monitoring intensified in order to understand the rate of potentially affected parts.
CW39/2021 – CW44/2021: Field return parts were analyzed and assessment of quantity of further potential part failures started. The total number of potentially incorrectly built long injectors in the suspected production periods was still unknown.
CW44/2021 – February 2022: Root cause analysis confirmed that in certain production days, long injectors may have been built incorrectly without filter due to not following the according work procedures. Ongoing field monitoring and parts analysis in order to verify potentially affected production lots. Analysis of claimed parts to understand failure rate in suspected production lots and to evaluate potential risk.
February 10, 2022: Topic was presented to Volkswagen Pre Product Safety Committee. Further details regarding failure analysis requested.
March 09,02022: Topic was presented to Volkswagen Product Safety Committee. The committee requested a deeper evaluation of all warranty claims with a technical explanation of the claims.
April 06, 2022: Topic was presented to Volkswagen Product Safety Committee. There are two production periods where on certain days at the supplier the assembly of the long injector has not been followed the required work procedure. Therefore there is the risk that certain long injectors could have been manufactured without the filter element. This was confirmed with parts analysis of claimed parts from these 2 production periods. Specifically, 100 vehicles were identified that had replaced long injectors built during the 2 suspect time periods with missing filter elements. Volkswagen is unaware of any fire events that have been caused by this issue, and it believes there is a very low likelihood of such an event. Nevertheless, given the evidence of a defined manufacturing anomaly, the chance that there may still be affected parts in the field that have not failed yet, and out of an abundance of caution, Volkswagen has decided to recall the vehicles that have received these potentially incorrectly assembled long injectors.
4 Affected Products
|VOLKSWAGEN||ATLAS CROSS SPORT||2021-2022|
4 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 ReportRCLRPT-22V245-1248
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – VOLKSWAGEN Date: April 25, 2022 Advance Notice – Safety Recall 24iD / Long Fuel InjectorsRCMN-22V245-8732
Latest Recalls Documents
- Proven to clean intake valves on GDI engines and turbo systems
- Easily installed through the air intake system
- Highest concentration PEA (Polyether Amine) detergency available
- Proven to remove up to 46% of GDI Intake Valve deposits in 1 hour
- 150X more concentrated than fuel additives
- It guarantees the functional performance of the moving parts and reduces fuel consumption.
- Increases the reliability of diesel-powered engines
- For cleaning the entire intake system.
- Increases power output
- Restores flow to fuel injectors
- Removes accumulated deposits from the oxygen sensor
- Cleans the catalytic converter
- Use in gas, ethanol/flex fuel, diesel & biodiesel engines
- Restores fuel economy and improves engine performance
- PEA (polyetheramine) effectively removes carbon deposits from the entire fuel & oil systems
- Stabilizes fuel and oil for up to 2 years
- Helps pass emissions testing, Lubricates upper cylinders, and Fights ethanol related rust & corrosion
- Cures Hesitation, Stalls, Pings, Flat Spots And Rough Idle Due To Carbon Buildup
- Use To Store And Fog 2-Cycle And 4-Cycle Engines
- Helps Pass Emission Tests; Epa Registered
- Cleans Intake Valves And Pistons
- 【Deep removal of carbon deposits】Deeply remove the highly sticky carbon deposits on the intake manifold, intake & exhaust valves.（Solve the problems of unstable idling, insufficient fuel combustion, and reduced air-fuel ratio.)
- 【External air source】This enables the walnut sand grit to strike the carbon deposits more powerfully and efficiently.
- 【Built-in dust filter】It can separate the recovered walnut sand grit from carbon deposits for recycling.
- 【Integrated design】The walnut sand grit can be sprayed and recovered simultaneously.
- 【3 year warranty】For damage caused by non-human factors, we promise to resend parts for free within 3 years.
- Helps overcome hard starting, rough idling, stalling, and high exhaust emissions
- Quickly removes deposits from the inside and outside of the carburetor to improve engine performance and fuel economy
- Cleans gum, varnish, and dirt from clogged carburetors and choke valves
- Effectively cleans unpainted metal parts and is quick drying
- Includes AR6500 Diesel Treatment (40 oz)
- Includes AR6400-D Diesel Fuel System Cleaner
- Restore key fuel system components - injectors, turbo & dpf
- Boost cetane, improve performance and MPG
- AR6400-D is not the remedy for HEUI injector stiction. Please use AR9100 Friction Modifier instead
- Non - Chlorinated and Low VOC - Highly aggressive formula without cheap, harmful fillers! Performs equal to or better than more well known brands!
- Previously reserved for car dealership techs, NOW available to the public.
- Check the label! No excessively harmful chemicals like Methanol or Toluene. Aggressive, competitive performance without the skull and crossbones!
- A multipurpose solvent for cleaning and degreasing various applications.
- Safe for ABS, calipers, pads, rotors, and other brake line system parts.
Last update on 2022-08-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.