July 20, 2022 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 22V516000
Fuel pump failure can cause an engine stall, increasing the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 22V516
Manufacturer Volkswagen Group of America, Inc.
Components FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
Potential Number of Units Affected 49,443
Dealers will replace the fuel pump, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed September 16, 2022. Owners may contact Audi’s customer service at 1-800-253-2834. Audi’s number for this recall is 20DR.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.
Safety Recall 20DR / Fuel Pump
A component of the fuel delivery module inside the fuel tank may break while operating the vehicle. The fragments can damage the sealing membrane in the pressure regulator. This may lead to a failure of the fuel delivery module and the instrument cluster will display the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL). In rare cases and under certain circumstances, however, there may be a sudden loss of engine power or the vehicle may break down without a warning appearing beforehand. A fuel leak due to this failure can be ruled out.
- REPAIR NOT YET AVAILABLE
|Country||Beginning Model Year||Ending Model Year||Vehicle||Vehicle Count|
Chronology of Defect
May 2020 – September 2020: Initial investigations were launched including analysis of parts from the field and root cause analysis together with the supplier. Initially the failure mode could not be reproduced. Together with the supplier, Audi initiated root cause analysis and development of an improved fuel delivery module. At that point it appeared that if the condition is present in the fuel delivery module, the failure would manifest early in the service life of the vehicle. It was also confirmed that no fuel leak can occur due to this condition and that the emission control warning light will light up. Based on this understanding, the Audi Product Safety Committee decided to monitor the field situation.
In January 2021, the supplier introduced an optimized part which Audi started using on January 30, 2021 in production. Field monitoring continued.
March 2021 – November 2021: Current field situation was reviewed and evaluated. Additional analysis was started regarding field situation across the different markets, differences in failure rates in the field, additional causal factors (Ishikawa), analysis and verification of customer experience/impact as well as an estimation regarding expected developments in the field. An increase in field cases was found during the ongoing field monitoring. Pressure pulsations in the low-pressure system were found to be a main factor and an evaluation regarding a potential software solution to adapt the idle speed in order to reduce the pressure pulsations was tasked.
November 2021: A warranty extension for 6 years/80,000 miles was decided to address and improve customer experience. Investigation regarding influences and potential software remedy and field monitoring continued.
February 2022: Due to discussions with the EPA/CARB and the thresholds for emission defect reporting, the conditions for the warranty extension were extended to full useful life (15 years / 150,000 miles).
March – July 2022: Based on discussions with NHTSA regarding other topics with similar failure modes, Audi AG and Volkswagen of America reviewed and reevaluated this topic, the technical background, and the customer experience.
July 13, 2022: Even though not all influential factors of the failure pattern have been fully understood, the Audi Product Safety Committee decides a voluntary safety recall for Audi Q7 product improvement and Audi Q8 vehicles based on the field situation and the fact that a loss of motive power may occur in certain cases.
Audi is not aware of any accidents or injuries due to this topic.
5 Affected Products
7 Associated Documents
Recall 573 Report – July 21, 2022RCLRPT-22V516-8726
Defect Notice 573 ReportRCLRPT-22V516-2960
Latest Recalls Documents
- FITMENT: Fits for Dodge Ram 1500 2500 3500 4500, for Dodge Charger Dodge Challenger SXT, for Hyundai Elantra Tuscan Sonata, for 2007-2012 Hyundai Sante Fe, for SAAB 9-3 03-11, for Saab 9-5 2008, for Chevy Silverado Malibu Maxx Colorado Avalanche Trailblazer Camaro SS (Please check the size before purchase)
- FOR AUTO MODELS: Fit for Jeep Wrangler TJ Jeep Compass, for 2005 Mercury Montego, for 2005-2006 Pontiac Bonneville & G6, for 2011 Kia Sorento, for 2006 chrysler 300c, fit for Ford Explorer Ford F150 Ford Ranger, for Mercury Mariner, for Nissan Pathfinder Sentra Frontier
- INTENDED USE: Easily removes and installs lock ring on the fuel tank when servicing the fuel pump or fuel sending unit （use with a 1/2" drive ratchet or breaker bar）
- A MUST HAVE TOOL: Made of High Standard Structural 42CrMo Steel with good mechanical properties, our tool is solid enough. Its Black Oxide Finish is good in resisting rust. Sunluway fuel sender tank lock ring tool will help tackle the job of replacing the fuel sender FAST and EFFECTIVE without damaging the rings
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: We are serious to offer the best products and services to customers. If you're not 100% satisfied with our tool, simply return it for a full refund in 30 days, no questions asked money back guarantee. Premium Support & 12 Months Warranty
- Widely Fitment: This fuel pump removal tool Use for symmetrical holes type & 5 or 7 holes type fuel tank lid. (Check the type of the lock ring of your car before buy)
- Adjutable Size: This fuel tank lock ring tool has a large adjustment range (5.83~7.83inch) which is suitable for different oil pump lock rings.
- A MUST HAVE TOOL: This universal fuel pump removal tool will help tackle the job of replacing the fuel sender fast and effective without damaging the oil pump rings.
- Intended Use: This fuel pump ring removal tool can easily remove and install lock ring on the fuel tank when servicing the fuel pump or fuel sending unit. （use with a 1/2" drive ratchet or breaker bar）
- Applications: This fuel tank ring tool is suitable for vehicles to remove and install the fuel pump retaining ring that holds the fuel pump module on the gas tank.
- Universal: This Fuel Pump Module Spanner Wrench fits most plastic retaining rings, Compatible with all vehicles that have silent fuel tank lid, adjustable from 3/8" to 1/2" (38mm to 168mm) ratchet drives.
- Applications: Suitable for vehicles to remove and install the fuel pump retaining ring that holds the fuel pump module on the gas tank.
- Easy Handle: Anyone who needs to remove a ring nut to change out or install a fuel pump, replace fuel sending unit, change the fuel filter etc. MUST have this wrench!! Gets the job done quickly!! Zero damage to the plastic ring nut with this wrench and it's totally adjustable to fit whatever size ring nut possible!!
- Work with: All that is needed is a 12mm wrench to set the width of the arms and a 3/8" drive ratchet with extension. Perfect though. Way better then a screw driver and hammer (that didn't work).Make sure you tighten the two small bolts before use. The wrench easily engages in the ridges around a threaded locking collar that secures the fuel pump to the top of the tank.
- You can use on all kind of vehicle with slient fuel tank lid.
- [ Fitment ] : Compatible for Fuel Pump Module Spanner Wrench for Mercedes-Benz BMW Audi Volkswagen VW Chrysler vehicles .
- [ Adjustable ] : The Fuel Pump Spanner Wrench is fully adjustable from 3/8-inch to 1/2-inch along the middle track, which allows for a custom fit and better grip during removal and installation.
- [ Feature ] : It's compatible with all vehicles that have silent fuel tank lids 3/8-inch to 1/2-inch (38mm to 168mm) in size.
- [ Installtion ] : Easily remove and install Fuel Pump Retaining Rings! The wrench easily engages in the ridges around a threaded locking collar that secures the fuel pump to the top of the tank.
- [ Package Included ] : 1pcs Fuel pump module spanner wrench with screws and washers.
- Essential Automotive Tools: The fuel pump removal tool easily removes and installs the lock ring on the fuel tank without damage to plastic ring nut
- Universal Model: The Fuel Pump Module Spanner Wrench fits most plastic retaining rings, compatible with all vehicles that have silent fuel tank lid with diameter between 1.2-7.3 inch (3-18.5cm)
- Easy to Use: Adjust the feet of fuel tank repair kit through the middle track to adapt the tank cover, put a 1/2" wrench into the square hole of 3/8" to 1/2" (38mm to 168mm) ratchet drives to twist it
- Upgrade Design: Curved foot of the fuel pump lock ring removal tool fits more closely with the installation surface of the oil pump cover which is not easy to slide during operation
- Quality Material: The fuel pump lock ring tool is made of heat-treated carbon steel with chrome-plated surface, which is strong and durable
- 【Adjustabe Size】5.31-Inch to 7.17-Inch Adjustable Lock Ring Spanner，Compatible With Mercedes Benz Ford Nissan BMW Land Rover Volvo And More (Please Check The Size Before Ordering)
- 【 Fitment】 This Fuel Pump Removal Tool Use For Symmetrical 5 or 7 Holes Type Metal Fuel Tank Lid.Use With 1/2 " DR. or 21mm Wrench.
- 【High performance】Our Fuel Tank Lid Remover Tool Made Of High Quality Cast Iron And All Black Painted ,Easily Removes And Installs The Lock Ring On The Fuel Tank When Servicing The Fuel Pump Or Fuel Sending Unit.This Tool Will Save You Time And Energy During The Installation And Removal Of These Lock Rings!
- 【Attention】Please Check What Is The Shape Of The Lock Ring,If They Are The Plastic Type Cap, This One Is Not Suitable.If They Are Holes Lock Ring, This Fuel Pump Lock Ring Tool Will Work!
- 【After-Sales Service】 Establish Strict Quality Control Standards, 1 Year Warranty, Worry-free Return And Refund Policy, Buy With Confidence!If You Have Any Questions About Fuel Pump Removal Tool, Please Contact Us, We Will Help You Deal With It As Soon As Possible！
- APPLICATIONS: Fits on Volvo S60, S80, V70, XC70 and XC90.
- FUNCTION: This socket is designed to remove the left and right fuel pump retaining nuts on all late model Volvos. The retaining nut can be locked in place easily and promptly, preventing damage on plastic lock ring for fuel pump service.
- EASIER WORK: This tool also gives easy access to the XC90’s left tank unit retaining nut without removing the large frame under the seat bottom saving the technician about 1 hour versus using the taller factory tool
- SUPERIOR MATERIAL: Made of high quality Aluminum with red finish, resisting rust and corrosion, ensures a long term service.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - If you're not 100% satisfied with this Tool, simply return it for a full refund in 30 days. Premium Support & 12 Months’ Warranty.
- FITMENT VEHICLE: Fit for Dodge Ram 1500 2500 3500 4500; for Dodge Charger Dodge Challenger SXT; for 2007-2012 Hyundai Sante Fe;for Chevy Silverado Malibu Maxx Colorado Avalanche; for SAAB 9-3 03-11; for Saab 9-5 2008; Trailblazer Camaro SS for Hyundai Elantra Tuscan Sonata
- FOR AUTO MODELS: for 2005 Mercury Montego; for 2005-2006 Pontiac Bonneville & G6; for 2006 chrysler 300c; for 2011 Kia Sorento; for Jeep Wrangler TJ Jeep Compass; for Ford Explorer Ford F150 Ford Ranger; for Mercury Mariner; for Nissan Pathfinder Sentra Frontier
- EASY TO USE: Used with a 1/2" drive ratchet or breaker bar. Easily removes and installs lock ring on the fuel tank when servicing the fuel pump or fuel sending unit.
- A MUST HAVE TOOL: Using a hammer and screwdriver to loosen the locking ring would be history! This tank lock ring tool will help tackle the job of replacing the fuel sender FAST and EFFECTIVE without damaging the rings.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: Superior 42CrMo steel material with black Oxide finish resisting rust and corrosion. If you're not 100% satisfied with our tool, simply return it for a full refund in 30 days. Premium Support & 12 Months Warranty.
- Large adjustment range,suitable for different oil pump glands.
- Four-sided rounded corners, not easy to hurt your hands when operating with both hands.
- Straight foot type card slot area thickened design, greater torque and higher strength.
- Curved foot with curved design, more suitable for the oil pump cover mounting surface, to ensure that it is not easy to slip during operation.
- Fits most plastic retaining rings, Compatible with all vehicles that have silent fuel tank lids.
Last update on 2022-08-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.